Have you heard the news? Today, while attending Google I/O, we announced the launch of our developers API, giving developers the opportunity to integrate multi-user applications and fun new activities into 6rounds in a mere 15 minutes.
For those of you who don’t know, a developers API is a set of commands that exposes the platform’s services to external developers. In other words, it shows external developers the commands we use in our video experience, and offers them the functionality to then create their own applications within our platform.
So why would we open our API?
Since we launched our platform in July, we’ve received many requests and queries asking if, and when, we’ll be opening our developers API. In the spirit of collaboration, and as part of our ongoing efforts to offer the richest video chat environment possible, we decided that now is a good time to open the doors for developers across the world. Therefore, we are allowing developers in all arenas to create different and unique applications on the 6rounds platform.
So what does this mean for our users? Currently, we have five different games and two different activities available in the video chat experience. As soon as developers begin creating new applications to integrate into 6rounds, they will be offered to our users free of charge. Rounders will have more games to play, and more activities to keep them entertained.
Since the opportunities are endless, we don’t know how many new applications will be created and what specific applications they will be. What we can promise though, is that it’s going to be an exciting year and they’ll be a lot of fun additions to the video chat experience.
What does our API entail?
The developers API entails many aspects. Here are a few of them:
- Displays the developed application as part of the 6rounds video page experience
- Enables developers to develop multi-user functionality such as messaging
- Enables developers to interact with 6rounds platform and get friends lists and user data
- Enables developers to store user specific application data in our system
- Enables developers to interact with the video experience such as send gifts, change skins and set effects
Using 6rounds simple API, developers can quickly and easily transform their existing social activities and games into 6rounds video chat experience, or create new inspiring applications, both of which can leverage the platform’s inherent ability to deploy gifts, effects, and background themes into the video chat environment. Furthermore, the developers will soon have the opportunity to embed their activities in a stand-alone widget, anywhere across the web, which will allow even faster distribution of their products.
“As developers ourselves, our focus was to create something that will speed up the development process and concentrate on game functionality instead of platform boundaries” says Gadi Srebnik, VP Product Director of 6rounds. “Typical social activities are focused primarily on an asynchronous experience. 6rounds finally changes this”, states Co-Founder and COO, Ilan Leibovich.
Developers are invited to create real-time multi-user rich activities through 6rounds API. They can incorporate their activities with video streaming and text chatting, sync users’ events and mouse movements, customize the user backgrounds and webcam effects, as well as use visual gifts to enhance the video chat experience. These features create a breathtaking experience for the users and prolong their interaction within the platform.
Why would Developer want to use it?
There are many reasons why developers would want to develop application to implement into 6rounds. Here are just a few:
- It’s great exposure for them. It’s a way for them to get their name out there and display their skills, craft and creativity.
- The first few submitted application will get the chance of being a default application in the video experience that will be spread throughout our cross platform environment through leading social networks and ISP providers.
- The video experience will be a personalized embeddable environment in the sense that a developer will be able to embed the environment with a default application, skin and capabilities.
- Studio – our future app store, with free and premium apps, will allow revenue sharing opportunities and an affiliation program for our developers and will leverage their existing revenue streams.
- Our unique API allow developers to make a great, real-time collaboration or game idea come true in an interactive video environment!
- Transforming any multi user game to work in a rich video chat arena takes as little as 20 minutes.
For developers to create very simple applications, like pong or Google translate, it can take less than 15 minutes. From our testing, developers without prior knowledge of the system can use our API and create something in a very short amount of time. Of course, making more in-depth applications such as those that include complex game logic will take longer.
Furthermore, when a developer starts on an application and registers on 6rounds, he gets a kit of information which includes a readymade application that serves as a template that he can tweak and adjust accordingly.
We’re excited to see the many different applications and activities that developers can create and we welcome developers to join us in creating a live, real-time, face to face, streamed web.
Now that you know about our exciting news, go to the developer API page on 6rounds and check it out!